Shopping Cart


Your shopping bag is empty

Go to the shop

How to Tell if Mushrooms Are Bad

By :Mushroom Kingdom 0 comments

Mushrooms are delicious, nutritious, and versatile, they can add intense flavor to just about any dish. However, they are not the hardiest of ingredients. Within just a few days, they can start to wrinkle, which means they are about to turn. Definite signs that mushrooms are past their prime include discoloration, a slimy coating, and a foul odour. To extend their shelf life, purchase fresh, plump mushrooms at the grocery store, and store them in the fridge in a breathable container.

  1. Check for wrinkles and dry, shrivelled patches. Wrinkles and dry patches are the first sign that your mushrooms are about to go bad. If they are just starting to dry out and are not discoloured, slimy, or smelly, use them immediately. Shrivelled mushrooms are on the cusp of going bad. Once they have started to shrivel, it will not be long before they are unusable.
  1. Look for bruises and brown spots. Be wary of eating mushrooms that are blemished. When it comes to food safety, discoloration is never a good sign. Bruises and brown or black spots are among the first signs that your mushrooms are going bad. For bruised mushrooms and other produce with no other signs of spoilage, consider cutting off the blemish and using the rest of the item. If your mushrooms are covered with dark spots, just throw them in the garbage.
  1. Toss mushrooms that are slimy. A slimy coating is a definite sign that your mushrooms are unusable. Even worse, visible mould growth means they absolutely belong in the trash. Throw them away instead of risking a foodborne illness. At this point, the mushrooms have lost their flavor and nutritional value, so there is really no benefit to eating them.
  1. Get rid of mushrooms that smell sour or fishy. Odour is another sure-fire sign that your mushrooms are past their prime. Fresh mushrooms should smell slightly sweet and earthy, but not foul. If you give them a whiff and they smell fishy or pungent, it is time to toss them.

Discard spoiled food promptly to prevent bacteria and mould growth from spreading to other items in your fridge.


Tags :
categories : Articles

Related post